Today Hamilton Fire Brigade operates with a diverse membership consisting of 63 members. Our membership includes both Juniors and Seniors that fulfil a wide variety of roles within the brigade.
Hamilton Fire Brigade responsibilities include responding to grass and scrub fires, building fires, fires involving vehicles and aircraft, technical rescue from cliffs or buildings and chemical spills. The brigade supports other emergency services such as VICSES and Police at Road Crash Rescues, storm and flood events, they support Ambulance Victoria at accidents with patient lifts and access to patients. Hamilton Brigade supports other agencies and brigades with planned burning, and deploys to fires across the State and interstate as part of CFA strike teams.
CFA has over 55,000 volunteers, including firefighters, community educators and support personnel spread across 1219 brigades, 21 districts and 5 regions in Victoria.
The Hamilton Fire Brigade celebrates its 150th. Due to COVID 19 the brigade was unable to host the events planned to celebrate this milestone. The brigade featured in articles in the local papers and developed a commemorative book of the brigade's history.
SCANIA P310 Type 3 Pumper. Entered service with Hamilton brigade in 2018 and remains part of the brigade’s structural response capability
In July 2011 the brigade received a Scania Pumper. SCANIA P320 Type 4 Pumper came into service in 2011 and was replaced in 2018
The new Pumper Tanker was delivered to the brigade and training was carried out. This vehicle was issued under a CFA pilot program.
Upgrade works were undertaken at the Melville Oval Running Track. Tanks for the running track arrived and the pumps were ordered. The Captain met with Wannon Water, Southern Grampians Shire Council and Finchetts and within 2-3 weeks pipe work will be completed ready for the concrete pad work to be placed. $35,000 from the CFA has been signed off by the CEO for water recycling associated with the track upgrades.
From the earliest days demonstrations drew large crowds including the image showing Melville Oval early 1900's.
The position of 4thLieutenant was created
The Hazmat body was purchased and manufacturing began.
Opening of the new (current) station and relocation to 100-104 Cox Street.
Country Fire Authority Act 1944
As a result of the 1939 and 1944 fires the push for a central and co-ordinated fire-fighting service continued to gain momentum and the Country Fire Authority (CFA) was formed on 19 December, 1944. The Authority is responsible for the prevention and suppression of fires, other emergency incidents and emergency management planning in those parts of the State outside the metropolitan Fire District and any declared forest or National park, and facilitating the establishment of brigades and training firefighters. The CFA commenced operation on 2 April 1945.Following the formation of the CFA, Hamilton Fire Brigade became Hamilton Urban Fire Brigade.
Gradually the brigade was able to improve equipment and received a motorised Pumper in the 1920’s which laid the foundations for the modern fire-fighting equipment available today.
In 1901 the station relocated to the other end of Gray Street next to the Argyle Arms Hotel
1890 sees the creation of the Fire Brigade Act and two new boards: The Metropolitan Fire Brigades Board (MFBB) and the Country Fire Brigades Board (CFBB).The CFBB has power and responsibility of all fire brigades based more than 16km from Melbourne.
A wooden Fire Brigade Station and bell tower was constructed in 1883. It was situated behind the old Town Hall in Gray Street on the west side of the Post Office.
In July 1880, works began on building a large reservoir and water pipes were laid throughout the town. Fire plugs were placed on the corners of Gray and Thomson Streets, Thomson and Lonsdale Streets and in Thompson Street opposite the Prince Of Wales Hotel.
The first fire using the fire plugs and hydrants occurred in October 1880 and although the fire was extinguished, there were many deficiencies in the manner it was done.
Although there was good water pressure available, and plenty of volunteers to assist, there was a great deal of criticism expressed about the way the fire was extinguished. The lack of co-ordination and direction indicated the need for an organized and efficient brigade.
"At a meeting held on 5 May, 1870, Hamilton Volunteer Fire Brigade with Mr J. P. Hamilton (The Hamilton Police Magistrate) elected as its first President and Mr J Balderson its first Captain was formed
The brigade was established in response to local community concerns after a number of fires in the town, the brigade didn’t even have access to reliable water, pumps or hoses so it was designated a hook and ladder brigade. This meant if a fire was too big to deal with using buckets of water then the brigade had to stop the fire spreading by physically tearing down neighbouring buildings which proved an unpopular method.
"By July, the Brigade had 30 members and permission was granted to use the bell at the Presbyterian Church as an alarm in the event of a fire. It was decided to obtain a hook and ladder apparatus and to ask the Hamilton Borough Council to provide a Fire Engine."